Tuesday, December 4, 2012

IWSG-To Blog or Not to Blog

            To blog, Twitter, Facebook, or not, that is the dilemma of this month. It is a constant balancing act of how much is too much. Do people really want to read about my mundane thoughts and struggles as I write, and live? Especially as a yet to be published writer, I wonder if I have anything to add to the amazing writing community out there.
           Do I blog once a week, once a month, once in a blue moon? How do I get people excited about my posts? How do I bring in followers and readers in the first place? What should I tweet, and share on Facebook? Millions of questions like this face first time bloggers, such as myself, and new writers trying to get there name out there.
         It is easy to get distracted with all the fun blogs that exist already. Most days it is more enjoyable to read other writers' witticisms then come up with my own. Plus, there are lots of giveaways, blog tours, and such to support. After all, if I want them to help me when I get a book out shouldn't I return the favor?
         I found the best way of dealing with some of these distractions, though fun, and worthwhile, is to have a schedule. Set aside a certain time a couple days a week when you will blog, check your multiple emails, check the list of blogs you follow,  tweet, and share things to your Facebook page. If you let yourself keep those things up all day, you often won't get any writing, or business done. (Not that I've had any experience with that. *cough, cough*)
         As for building your own online presence that is worth people's time, I'm still trying to figure that one out. Any advice from you veteran bloggers of awesomeness? 

As always, happy writing!

Book of the Week:

The second epic installment of Brandon Mull's #1 New York Times bestselling fantasy series! After the cliffhanger ending of A World Without Heroes, Jason is back in the world he's always known—yet for all his efforts to get home, he finds himself itching to return to Lyrian. Jason knows that the shocking truth he learned from Maldor is precious information that all of his friends in Lyrian, including Rachel, need if they have any hope of surviving and defeating the evil emperor.
Meanwhile, Rachel and the others have discovered new enemies—as well as new abilities that could turn the tide of the entire quest. And as soon as Jason succeeds in crossing over to Lyrian, he's in more danger than ever. Once the group reunites, they strive to convince their most-needed ally to join the war and form a rebellion strong enough to triumph over Maldor. At the center of it all, Jason and Rachel realize what roles they're meant to play—and the answers are as surprising as they are gripping.


4 comments:

  1. I find visiting other blogs is a must if I want others to visit my blog. The last couple of weeks I have been unable to visit my friends blogs like I normally do. I have seen a big drop in visitors on my blog. So the question is: what is important? Establishing an online presence takes work and lots of it:) I know how you feel, too. Does anyone really care about what I have to say???

    Nice to meet you! Have a wonderful week:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is very true. You have to support others to receive support in return. Thanks!

      Delete
  2. Ink is correct.
    I'd suggest focusing on just one or two social sites. Blogging is my first priority, followed by Twitter. But I don't do Facebook, Pinterest, and all the other ones. Setting yourself a schedule would be good, even if it's just once a week. And don't think you don't have anything to offer! We all learn from one another.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My advice is let the book writing come first. Schedule a bit of social media time into your week and stay faithful to it. If you're going to blog, blog at a regular schedule, so people know when to expect you. And have fun. If it's not fun and not adding to your "presence," then Drop It.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your awesome support!