Friday, January 18, 2013

A Brain Cramp and Some Great Reads

So I found this post I created back in December and was supposed to post last week. Ooops. This whole scatterbrained thing has got to go. However, since it is mostly due to being emerged in writing the last few weeks I guess I can't complain too much. I will try to get back to regular blogging soon. I'm sure I can find something semi-amusing to say. Or maybe just the ramblings that are my life as a writer. Ah, the joys of living half in reality and half in some fantasy world. Wait. Did I just see a goblin driving that car? Huh. Anyways, this is a fun idea so I thought I'd share it even though the blog hop is way over.

Old, new, controversial, heartwarming – what are the things that catapult a book from a great read to a must read?

My go to books:
A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens
Ella Enchanted and Fairest by Gail Carson Levine
Pride and Prejudice, Persuasion, and Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen
The Blue Sword by Robin McKinley
The Scarlet Pimpernel by Baroness Orczy
Dracula by Bram Stoker
Around the World in Eighty Days by Jules Verne
The Hobbit and The Return of the King by J.R.R. Tolkien
The Witches, The BFG, and the Twits by Roald Dahl
Sun and Moon, Ice and Snow by Jessica Day George

So, what do all these lovely books have in common? They are many of the books that I treasure as classics.
That phrase, a classic, has a different meaning for everyone. To me these words describe a book that is more than just a book, it is an old friend. Whether it is the fifth or the hundredth time I've read it, I feel like I am catapulted back to that first moment of discovery. The heroine or hero's triumph, or that moment when it seems the villain has won, is just as exhilarating as when I first cracked that cover. I still laugh at the witty wording, or I feel tears sting my eyes when my old friend faces that horrible moment of heartache. No matter how many times I read these tales, they still have the power to touch my heart and leave me breathless.

What books do you call friends? Why?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your awesome support!