Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Happy Valentine's Day!


In celebration of Valentine's Day and the Indie-kissing blogfest, I've decide to share the kiss scene from my current YA fantasy project, Dark Heritage. I'm still writing the rough draft and haven't begun serious edits yet, so I apologize if it's a little rough. Hopefully, it will still be sweet.
Enjoy!

Scene where Lexie shows Aidan the self-portrait she has drawn of herself:
    
Aidan studies the picture in the heavy silence, as if contemplating something. I look away from the troubled expression on his usually cheerful face. Perhaps he is thinking about her. Missing her. Realizing, finally, that I will never be her.

I hang my head, unable to bear his closed expression any more. His next words startle me, but are no surprise.

“The eyes are too bright and open.” He pauses, thinking, and I sink lower into myself. “And the smile is too big.”

Tears of mortification and frustration sting my eyes, but I keep them back through sheer willpower. I won't cry because some boy, once again, never really saw me.

“Lexie?” Aidan sounds unsure, hesitant. “Is something wrong?”

I blink rapidly for a moment to clear the telltale moisture and then smile over at him. “Nope. I’ll fix the picture later.” I reach for my sketchpad and he relinquishes it.

“Good. Because the eyes need to be more thoughtful. Still bright, but with more depth to them.” Aidan’s voice lowers to almost a whisper as if he's speaking to himself.

My hands tighten on the edge of the sketchpad. Am I really hearing what I think I am? My mouth fills with chalk. Yes, go on, my heart beats. No, don’t continue, my brain screams. The discordant refrains nearly drown out Aidan’s warm, quiet words.

“And the smile needs to be smaller, not a toothy grin. Your smile is my favorite thing about you. Quiet and shy, but full of kindness and honesty.” His hand rests on the top of the drawing still clutched in my hands.

My eyes lock on the calloused, strong fingers. My heart races so hard I’m sure its going to leap out of my chest at any minute as my gaze travels up his arm and to his face. His green eyes, flecked with soft brown, hold mine with a seriousness I’ve rarely seen in them.

Pressure increases on my protective sketchpad. I lower it to my lap and release my death grip on it. His hands encase my smaller ones, his eyes never leaving mine. “Too bad the picture isn’t in color.” He leans closer to me, his thumb siding over the back of my hand. I swallow in a very unromantic way.

“W-why is that?” I try for a casual tone, but it comes out as a breathless stutter. I’m so blowing this moment.

Aidan smiles that smile I adore. One side of his mouth quirks a little higher and his eyes look ready to laugh. “It doesn’t capture the color of your cheeks or lips. Strawberries and cream, that’s what I think when I see you.”

“You think of food when you see me? Wow, you must be hungry all the—” He silences my inane chatter, closing the the gap between us.

I’m pretty sure I stop breathing when his firm, but oh so soft, lips brush against mine. My eyelashes flutter against my cheeks. His hand moves to the back of my neck, holding me close as his lips explore mine in a slow, thorough way that sends waves of heat cascading to the tips of my toes.

When he pulls away I struggle to remember how to get oxygen into my lungs. He doesn’t sit back, but rests his forehead against mine in a sweet gesture. “I’ve wanted to do that for forever.” His words whisper against my cheek.

Thanks for reading! Now, be sure to check out these other romance-filled posts. And spread the love by kissing your sweetheart, or dog, or cat, or goldfish, or frog, or whatever works for you. ;)

Comments are always welcome.




20 comments:

  1. This is a very sweet scene, I love it and would love to read more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Aidan and Lexie's relationship has been quite fun to develop.

      Delete
  2. I love how much you draw out the tension here! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I was a little worried it might feel a little drawn out. I'm glad it came across right. :)

      Delete
  3. I esp. like the part where she feels his eyelashes on her cheek. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of my favorite parts too. Wait. Can I say that as an author? ;)

      Delete
  4. I love that he really does see her! That makes the kiss all the sweeter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I adore Aidan. I'll admit he's my favorite guy character I've written so far. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  5. Wonderfully built tension, with that so-true-to-life insecurity rippling under the surface. I found myself holding MY breath right along with her. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The insecurity I think is something all teenage girls have to deal with. I'm glad it came across well. Thanks again for commenting!

      Delete
  6. Hot! And now I'm thinking of the sketching scene in Titanic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not an intentional allusion, but I guess it works. :)

      Delete
  7. That wasn't rough at all! Incredibly sweet and touching.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, thanks for skimming over the flaws. ;) Seriously though, thank you for your wonderful comment!

      Delete
  8. I think that's AWESOME, MR!!! I love how he cuts her off at the strawberries & cream part, and I think my favorite line is this: "My mouth fills with chalk. Yes, go on, my heart beats. No, don’t continue, my brain screams." Very original turn of phrase! Great work!!! :o) <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agonized over that line forever before it came out semi right. Thanks!

      Delete
  9. So sweet and romantic, with great build up! I don't think it was rough at all! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your awesome support!