Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Indie Life



Because being Indie doesn't have to mean going it alone.

So, this is my very first post for Indie Life. (First of many, I hope.) I'm a little nervous to participate since I'm still brand new to the Indie publishing world, i.e., I haven't released my first book. While that means I'm not as experienced it does put me in the great position to share my journey from start to first publication and beyond, with all of you. I hope we can learn a lot from each other along the way. Time to dive in.

I decided to go the indie route last May. I attended the fantastic Write Here in Ephraim writers' conference, and met the amazing Andrea Pearson. She gave a great presentation on the pros and cons of self-publishing. Up until that point I had been very skeptical of it. My doubts. You can't make money being indie. No one will even know you've published a book. People won't take me seriously as an author.

While indie seemed like a poor choice to me, I wasn't thrilled about traditional publishing either. (For me, not in general.) What to do? After Pearson's class, I did a lot of research on both traditional and indie publishing, wanting to make the best choice for me and my future. In the end, I realized that indie would give me both the freedom and control I wished to have with the books I write. It would take a lot of hours, effort, and frustration, but I knew I could do it. And so, my journey to be an indie author began.

Where I am currently. I'm reading a ton of blog posts, guides, and  websites that offer advice and support for indie writers. (Indelibles is a great source.) I'm crunching numbers to save for all the many costs I know will go into the production of my first book. And I am writing like crazy to have some sort of product to release, eventually. I'm also working hard at getting to know already established indie authors. For those, like me, who are just starting out, these awesome men and women who have already leaped over those initial hurdles of self-publishing are great sources of friendship, encouragement, and advice on what to do, and what not to do.

So that is my post for this month. Just a brief introduction to me, and my decision to be an indie writer. I look forward to the many curves, ups, and downs this path will take me on. And, I look forward to getting to know all of you better. Best of luck with all your writing endeavors!

The Indie ReCon is just about a week away. There will be tons of indie authors banding together to help us newbies along. If you definitely want to self-publish, are still on the fence about it, or are dead set on traditional publishing, this is a great conference for you. It is all online--stay in your pajamas all day if you want--and, best of all, its completely free! (Link to conference is on the left hand sidebar of this blog.)




6 comments:

  1. Welcome to indie life. I remember being at the place of decision. The more I progress, the more I realize that I made the right decision.
    God speed on your future endeavors!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to meet you. Your post was great.

    Hugs and chocolate,
    Shelly

    Found you through Indie Life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes! Welcome to Indie life. I'm relatively new as well having just published my first novel last month. I'm on tour this month so it's all very exciting. Indie ReCon will be great and I'm looking forward to learning from some great indie authors. Nice to meet you, and good luck :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds like my process was very similar to yours. I was on the fence between traditional and indie publishing until I started doing some research. Then I couldn't stop researching, lol. I still research! I'm really happy with my decision to go indie, it sounds like you are doing all the right things!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the tip on IndieReCon! I hadn't heard of it before, but I love writeoncon so I'm really excited about it now.

    Can't wait to read more about your self publishing journey!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your awesome support!