Tuesday, April 2, 2013

April IWSG


Lots of good things have happened with my writing lately. I've attended some really helpful writing  conferences, met some great fellow writers, joined an awesome online writing group, and finished the first draft of my second novel. I should be on cloud nine, but sometimes life is not that easy. Despite all the successes sometimes it is hard to silence the self-doubt that is often a constant companion. Everyone has moments of questioning themselves, it is no different for writers. In fact, it may be twice as hard for us creative types. We pour our time, heart, and soul into creating and hope the world likes our work. Nerve-wracking to say the least.

Lately, I've been really questioning if my voice is worthwhile. I don't have anything interesting or quirky that sets me apart like some awesome authors I know. I still don't have a brand despite months of brainstorming, and I'm not even sure if my story ideas are all that original. I love them, and enjoy writing them, but what if no one else ever does? This sounds like a pity party. Ugh! Woe is me and all that crap!

Here is one thing I'm absolutely sure of, writing is a part of who I am. I've tried to quit but I just can't leave it alone. Time to put in some more hard hours and keep livin' the dream! Seriously though, have your pity party if you need to, then wipe those doubts aside and keep on trekking along. We'll make it someday!


A thought to keep you going:
“I learned this, at least, by my experiment: that if one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.” —Henry David Thoreau

4 comments:

  1. Henry is right, just keep going. M.R. there is nothing wrong with just being a normal person and remember for every cool quirk there's a bad turn so...be grateful. Best of luck with your writing and life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's true, though, being normal has its perks. ;)

      Delete
  2. Nice to meet you and visit your blog-- I'm out and about today helping Alex with hosting duties for IWSG. Tracy Kidder in his book Good Prose has a great quote about voice. Basically he says that the concept of voice has been given more weight than it can possibly bear; we give it too much thought. He said we all have a sound and should let our readers tell us what our voice is like and quit trying to develop it. Good advice I think. My guess is if you have a book out there, you have a great voice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a great quote. Thanks! I don't have a book out, but only because I've been worried about developing my 'unique' voice. Time to start trying and trust my alpha readers who say it is great! ;) Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete

Thanks for your awesome support!