Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Decisions, Decisions

I'm off to the LDStorymakers Writers Conference this weekend. I downloaded the humongous syllabus yesterday when I found the present in my email. Now I sit, staring at the list of awesome classes, and fret over which will be the best classes for me. This is not an easy decisions. They all sound incredible! Where is a cloning machine when I need one? Or a magic spell that will split me temporarily?

More than one of me running around wreaking havoc on the world? Oh the possibilities! Mwahahahaha!


Ahem...so, writers conferences.

My Top Five Reasons to Attend Writing Conferences:
1) It is an entire day, weekend, week, whatever dedicated to honing your writing craft. Time invested in your craft will only help it. (I don't think I need to even list the next four.)

2) Networking opportunities abound. Not many opportunities present themselves for new writers to mix and mingle with other writers and published authors. Not to mention all the agents and editors that will be milling about. Sure, Tweeting, Facebooking, and blogging can help you get to know writers and editors, but this is a rare opportunity to meet them face to face--without going through those bulky bodyguards.

3) They don't have to break the bank. Some of the higher end ones can get a bit pricey, but it is okay to start small. Attend local, one day conferences to still learn a lot about the craft. There are even a couple free ones out there.

4) Have a great book out but nobody knows about it? Here is a great opportunity to market your brand and yourself to a bunch of bookworms. (Don't be pushy about this though.)

5) Did I mention you get to immerse yourself into all things writing? I don't know about you, but after every conference I always feel ready to conquer...er, I mean, tackle the world.

That's my two cents on the matter, and I was probably just preaching to the choir anyway. Keep up the great work! I'm off to agonize some more over which classes to take. Decisions, decisions. Anyone have a magic wand handy?

Happy writing!

1 comment:

  1. I have never been to a writers conference and am not sure how much good it would do me personally, but a lot of people have had benefits from writers conferences. I hope you have a productive time at yours.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your awesome support!