Tuesday, September 6, 2016

Summer Wrap-up

Yeah, I know school started awhile ago, but better late than never.

This summer was definitely one of growing for me and my writing. I set some hard goals for myself, and surprised myself by achieving them.

I started participating more actively in critique groups, and put on my big girl panties and, shocker, reached out to fellow authors to start making connections.

Another huge accomplishment was writing my very first query letter and synopsis. They were rough and I have so, so much to learn. But, go me! To top it off, I submitted said query to the awesome Pitch Wars contest. Didn't get picked, but learned a great lesson about myself. I can submit stuff, and, another shocker, not collapse from nerves. Not a bad summer, all in all.

And, of course, I made some time for discovering some new authors to read.

The Stone Bearers by Jacque Stevens: An interesting take on djinn.

Forbidden and Banished by Kimberly Griffiths Little: A sweeping romance saga set in Ancient Mesopotamia.

Born to Treason by E.B. Wheeler: Set against the conflict between Protestant and Catholic Wales in the middle ages.

An Ember in the Ashes by Sabaa Tahir: A bit gritty and dark for a YA. There is some pretty intense violence and swearing, but a compelling look into an intense fantasy world and the characters who refuse to let the darkness beat them.

Bluescreen by Dan Well: Also a language advisory on this one. An interesting look at a future world that offers the perks of cool tech, but shows how dangerous it all can be.

That about covers my summer reading and writing adventures. The next fours months promise to be full of countless other opportunities for growth and learning. Can't wait!

How was your summer? Read any great books? Goals you reached?

Have an awesome writing day!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your awesome support!